A blog for NES R1A, Reading and Composition in Ancient Near Eastern Texts, Fall 2010.
Tuesday, November 23, 2010
First impressions
When I first saw the picture, or perhaps I should say engraving I didn't really think too much of it. I did notice the tall stature of the top figure and it seemed fairly apparent to me that he was being shown as a superior being. There also seemed to be a sense of victory. This was no doubt due to the fact that he seemed to be quote literally above everyone else. I did notice the beard and was reminded of the figurines on the Code of Hammurabi. I hadn't noticed that his entire right side had been visible, though I realize it was once the author made mention of it. However the sexual imagery that the author alluded to was not something I noticed even upon reading the article. He looked simply healthy and alive to me. All on all I found the author's viewpoints interesting and many of her arguments valid but I felt she was reaching a little bit with her conclusion concerning the sexual nature of this monument.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.