Upon reading Friedman's article I became interested in trying to find evidence of what he spoke of as I read. At the end of chapter 6 and the beginning of chapter 7 of the Book of Genesis we find perhaps one of the most obvious discrepancies. The discrepancy involved the number of animals that are to be taken aboard the ark. Originally it seems Noah is to bring one male and one female of every creature but upon further reading we find Noah being directed to take seven pairs of several different creatures including birds. Now when I had read Genesis in the past I had given little thought to this. But as I read through these lines today I could see why these lines have been used as evidence that Moses was not the sole author of Genesis if he was even the author at all.
Other things that I had previously read over without much thought also caught my attention. A few of the stories included in the Book of Genesis do not seem to run smoothly through each other. The scene where Noah is naked and drunk seemed almost random, with little in way of transition. This too seems to throw doubt on the belief that Moses alone wrote this for it seems that certain portions and short stories had been added in with another version or narrative creating at times an almost choppy composition.
These are just a few of the more obvious things I noticed after reading Genesis. Some of the other discrepancies apparently involved the words and phraseology that had been used originally. Many of these have become hidden as it has been translated. Nonetheless even with out limited knowledge and information there is plenty of evidence to look at.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.